Thursday, April 7, 2011

Money by Martin Amis

Money, Martin Amis (3.5)
There is no doubt this novel is clever. If you enjoy biting language and topics of excess (booze, food, sex, drugs, etc.), there is a good chance you will like this book. It is a barrage of excesses mainly happening to and by John Self, a director of tasteless commercials who has been asked to direct his first feature film. It’s also much like being a witness to a train wreck. While I appreciated the book (its twists and its message), I found the main character to be just past the point of believability. This was written in the 80’s and maybe a character like John Self was more realistic then. Oddly, it brings to mind the recent antics of Mr. Charlie Sheen; John Self also thought he was ‘winning’ as he spiraled through his life half aware of what was going on around him. I still haven’t decided how I feel about the writer writing himself into the novel as a character (a writer, Martin Amis, lives near John in London). At first it felt egotistical, but by the end I kind of liked it. Overall, I recommend this to my more adventurous reader friends as an interesting diversion – but not to the ones who may be offended by rough language and shady, unlikable characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment