Monday, April 4, 2011

Hitch-22: A Memoir

Hitch-22: A Memoir, Christopher Hitchens (3)
I don't read many memoirs, but was drawn to Christopher Hitchens' due to his broadly travelled life. The book is filled with stories about his famous literary friends and his travels experiencing political causes. Oddly, though he spoke at length about his mother and father, he wrote almost nothing about his brother, wives and children. Except for a few comments about how children change your views on various topics, all important parts of his life (per this book) were with friends. Perhaps I don't read carefully enough when paragraphs become wordy. I found certain passages where I would lose his point. I believe it is due to his writing style – he has a full vocabulary and is not always direct – though it could be my own impatience. He has some interesting thoughts on Judaism, Cuba and Iraq (pre Saddam and post Saddam). I don’t necessarily agree with all his views, but I enjoyed looking at things from a different perspective. His adoration for his literary friends has urged me to read Martin Amis’ ‘Money’, which is supposed to be one of his best… I will keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment