Sunday, February 26, 2023

'All My Rage' by Sabaa Tahir

All My Rage, Sabaa Tahir (4.0)

I found this book quite thought provoking and moving. It is filled with many tragedies (the trigger warning at the beginning is not to be ignored). The story focusses on the lives of two Pakistani kids growing up in a small town near the Mojave dessert. One born there after his parents left Pakistan for a job in California and the other brought over by an uncle after an earthquake devastates her village and kills all her family. The best parts of the book focus on how they hold on to each other and their shared culture. There are many beautiful passages concerning language, food, prayers and family. My main issue with the book is the number and variety of the incidents. I do believe people have multiple issues and tragedies, but this was all over the board – alcoholism, child molestation, Islamophobia, drug abuse, domestic violence - no one is unscathed. Ultimately, even with the deluge of problems the characters face, the author instills some optimism, which I really appreciated as the reader.


No comments:

Post a Comment