Wednesday, March 8, 2023

'Why Fish Don't Exist' by Lulu Miller

Why Fish Don’t Exist, Lulu Miller (4.0)

It took me a bit to get into this book, but once I did, I really enjoyed it. It is part history, part memoir, part biography and I think I was just confused at first. The author goes looking for a figure to write about and anchor her unraveling life. She picks David Starr Jordan, a taxonomist famous for finding and naming a large part of the fish population we recognize today and also an early President of Stanford University. I’m glad I was unfamiliar with Jordan as it felt I was learning about him along with Miller, which made many of her discoveries quite shocking. Jordan apparently has skeletons outside the closet (he was a strong supporter of eugenics) and inside (I’ll let you find out). While I normally don’t enjoy science mixed with memoir (Miller adds much about her life), once I surrendered to being an observer of her journey I appreciated the book more.


No comments:

Post a Comment