Saturday, February 2, 2019

'The Dragon Behind the Glass' by Emily Voigt


The Dragon Behind the Glass: A True Story of Power, Obsession and the World's Most Coveted Fish Emily Voigt (3.5)
It’s odd how a book about a fish I’ve never heard of could be so interesting. What started as a mystery into the dark side of aquarium hobbyists turned into a philosophical dip into endangered species, extinction and the quest to see something unique in its true environment. Mixed in were quite colorful characters and a glimpse into the political upheaval of the countries Ms. Voigt visited. Given that my interest in fish is, well, let’s say less than my interest in the effects such upheaval has on cultures, I enjoyed the mix of subjects. The book did come across more as a memoir at times, and less a non-fiction book specifically about fish. I also was surprised at the lack of references, given the facts given throughout the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment