Monday, January 21, 2019

'H+ incorporated' by Gary Dejean


H+ incorporated, Gary Dejean (3.0)
This is a fast-paced Sci-Fi thriller with a fair amount of action. I enjoyed the new ideas and the plot. Set in a Manila of the future, humans have augmented their bodies with bionic prosthetics to various degrees. Many, are thanks to the company, H+. I should note despite the title, the background and strategy of the company are not very well articulated – a lost opportunity that would have fleshed out the story better. Some worthy ethical questions are brought up throughout (e.g. the use of the enhancements, the extent of military weaponry) as we follow the interactions of a rag-tag group of technically savvy outsiders with a military unit contracted to keep the peace. While some of the characters seemed a bit flat, I found myself rooting for the outsiders and reading voraciously to see how their adventure would end. Overall my recommendation would be to have a stronger edit. There were quite a few places where the language felt either stilted or just wrongly placed. Unfortunately these incidences interrupted the flow of the prose and bounced me out of the ‘world’ Mr. Dejean had created. Also as a screenplay, the story works. As a novel, I’d like to see more ideas expounded upon and the characters better developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment