Monday, February 18, 2019

'Beartown' by Fredrik Backman


Beartown, Fredrik Backman (3.0)
This is my least favorite Backman book so far. While I usually find his characters whimsical and his plots thoughtful, this book had a few faults I had a hard time forgiving. Set in a small northern Swedish town, the plot revolves around the town sport, hockey, and the various players both on the rink and off. It starts with a gun being held to a teenager’s head and then takes the reader back to the events that lead up to the event. While that narrative trick pushed the novel along at a relatively quick pace, I felt much of the background was contrived to keep you guessing as to who the two people were. This book was painful to read relative to Backman’s other books – long with some particularly ugly character behaviors. It seemed to take forever for someone to do the right thing. I did find it interesting that it was easy to forget that he is writing about a small town in Sweden, as it often felt that it could be anywhere. I guess we tend to forget that other countries have some of the same problems we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment