Thursday, August 29, 2013

'Joyland' by Stephen King and 'The New Centurions' by Joseph Wambaugh


You get a double dose this week as I will not be updating the blog for 1.5 weeks. I should have a couple of new reviews queued up by the time I get back, as I plan to do a lot of reading :).  k

Joyland, Stephen King (3.5)
Stephen King can always be counted on to deliver a solid story with interesting characters, new plot and often, these days, a dose of nostalgia. This book is no different. It’s a story of a college kid who spends his summer working at Joyland – a less than Disney, more than carnival type of place. Add in carnies, fortune-tellers, a dash of love and a FunHouse mystery and you have a good yarn. The fast paced, short chapter style along with constant activity leads this to be a quick summertime read. I wouldn’t call it one of his best, but I really enjoyed the combination of good plot and thoughtful characters.

The New Centurions, Joseph Wambaugh (3)
Joseph Wambaugh is highly respected as an author of very ‘real’ fiction, specifically concerning inter-city police drama. As a retired LA police sergeant who worked in the 60’s, Mr. Wambaugh has unique experience and views of police life. This book follows three police rookies in LA just prior and during the famous Watts riots. Each section has three chapters (one first person for each officer) and skips a year for each section. You follow the three from the academy through their first four years of policing. I appreciated the real-ness of the stories, but frankly there was no real plot. Since this was one of his earlier novels, I expect it is appreciated for its raw portrayal of everyday life of rookie policemen, which was new and fresh in the 1970s. I just found I was waiting for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment