Wednesday, August 14, 2013

'Cyber Storm' by Matthew Mather


Cyber Storm, Matthew Mather (3)
I read this book a while ago, but have procrastinated when it came to the review. I think the timing of my read was partly to blame. The book revolves around an incident in the possible near future by which New York City is brought to a halt in the middle of winter with no electricity, no water and a possible quarantine. This is believed to have happened due to an attack on computer systems of the main utilities by the Chinese government. The story follows one man as he attempts to lead his family and neighbors through the chaos. The story is scary, gross and grim, but overall serves as a warning. Unfortunately I read this right after reading a non-fiction survivalist guide as research for my writing which happened to predict the most likely scenario of a disaster (in which survival techniques would be needed) would be an attack on computer systems of the utilities. The parallels were frightening. It was a fast paced interesting book and I think I would have enjoyed it a lot more if I had read it as pure fiction and not as a predictive future.

No comments:

Post a Comment