Tuesday, December 4, 2012

'The Art of Fielding' by Chad Harbach


The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach (4.0)
I will admit, I am not a big fan of baseball. Had I paid closer attention to the title of this book, I may not have added it to my list. Luckily I had heard good yet vague comments about it.  While it is a story with baseball as it’s setting, it turned into much more.  The characters were slightly flawed but very likable and relatable, more so than in many books.  I first thought the plot was making me quickly turn the pages, but now I believe it was a somewhat fanatical desire to see what happens to the five main characters.  The basic story follows a young man as he goes to a small liberal arts college in Wisconsin.  He is spotted in high school by a college sophomore who recognizes his remarkable talent as a shortstop.  We follow his progress and meet others at the school that become important to him. My only complaint is that I believe he acted a bit out of character towards the end and some of the situations felt a bit forced, maybe to possibly add drama and angst between characters? Otherwise, it was a very compelling book to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment