Wednesday, November 28, 2012

'Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy' by Timothy Zahn


Star Wars: The Thrawn Trilogy, Vol. 1, 2 and 3, Timothy Zahn (3.5)
It took some prodding to get me to read this series. I fondly remember the first Star Wars movie as the only movie I saw in the theatre multiple times.  I did not want to tarnish the franchise in my mind’s eye with a lesser follow-on story, written by a ‘wanna be’. S convinced me that this three book series was the best-reviewed version of what may have happened post Empire.  I will admit that the three books are compelling and worthy of a Star Wars fan to read.  Luckily, Mr. Zahn did not elaborate on the goofy (Ja-Ja-Binks type) characters. There are new interesting species, credible threats and some worthy new characters.  A master strategist Grand Admiral from the Empire returns, along with a semi-insane cloned Jedi Master who both give plenty of challenges for Luke, Han and a pregnant Leia; all very entertaining.  My only complaint is how all knowing the non-Jedi Grand Admiral Thrawn appears – a bit too accurate in his strategic assessments, but I guess you can’t make it too easy for the good side of the Force J. My review score of this series is based on an average: 4 points if you are a Star Wars fan, 3 points if you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment