Sunday, December 9, 2012

'Information Cloud' by Peter James West


Information Cloud, Peter James West (2.0)
As most of you know, I am always looking for new and innovative Science Fiction stories. This came to me from someone who had seen my review of the Star Wars Trilogy. In the spirit of new Sci-Fi, I liked that it had two very innovative ideas (which I will not spoil here as they are only revealed at the very end of the book). One issue I had was that other aspects felt less surprising and more mundane. I would have liked to see Mr. West take more chances and reach farther with regards to new technologies. Oddly, I was never quite clear how far in the future this tale was set and where it takes place. Most of the weaponry and computer systems were too close to things I can easily imagine (and have actually seen) being worked on today in various advanced R&D centers.  The main military conflict in the book centers around a group called the Kamari, who seem to be invading or attacking the first characters you meet. For some time I believed the Kamari were aliens, (given it is Sci-Fi and with a name like ‘the Kamari’, can you blame me?). While the first contact implies they are humanoid, I still thought they were off-worldly, given their weaponry and means of transport. It wasn’t till almost the end of the book that I realized they were a radical group, which was a bit of a let down.

No comments:

Post a Comment