Sunday, March 15, 2020

'The Battle for God: A History of Fundamentalism' by Karen Armstrong


The Battle for God: A History of Fundamentalism, Karen Armstrong (3.5)
I learned a lot reading this book in which Ms. Armstrong thoroughly examines the branching of fundamentalism in the three main global religions: Judaism, Islam and Christianity. While the timing is often different, there were many parallels in why and how they emerged. I appreciated that she gives equal time to all three and carefully draws the comparisons, which were numerous. She often discusses the mythos and logos parts of culture and how as logos (mostly as science) advanced, mythos was often pushed aside. The fundamentalists were often disillusioned by a culture, which could not easily accommodate the spiritual. In simple terms, I can agree with this, but she does go back to it too often, in my opinion. Also, much of this book is depressing – such as the fact that progress always seems to be partnered with war as so many cannot deal with any change. My own faith in my fellow humans was often tested in reading this book – are we really that weak and fragile?

No comments:

Post a Comment