Sunday, March 22, 2020

'Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town' by Jon Krakauer


Missoula: Rape and the Justice System in a College Town, Jon Krakauer (3.0)
While I usually enjoy Mr. Krakauer’s books and this topic is extremely important, I did not enjoy reading this book. I felt like I was being bombarded with ‘rape, rape, rape, incompetence, rape, rape, victim shaming, incompetence, legal system let-down, rape, rape.’ I know I only needed to read the details of each rape once for it to be etched into my psyche. Having the examples repeated (sometimes 3 or 4 times) was dulling. Many reviewers of this book remarked that the second half (mostly having to do with the trials) was too dry, but I felt it was needed after all the emotional trauma of the first half. This is a book that should be read, but is very hard to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment