Saturday, November 2, 2019

'Children of War' by Martin Walker


Children of War, Martin Walker (3.5)
I will call this book a guilty pleasure. A friend who knew how much we loved the food and wine of the area introduced me to Bruno, the Chief of Police in a small, fabricated town in southwestern France in what appears to be his 7th outing. The trope of this book is Bruno’s main pastime: in between great detective work, he serves 4-course farm to table meals to friends and acquaintances. In this particular Bruno adventure I liked how Mr. Walker had him dealing with parallel stories concerning children of war, one present day and one from WWII. Both were interesting. I knock this book from worthy literature down to ‘guilty pleasure’ because while I enjoyed the descriptions of mouth-watering dishes, it was hard to believe a local police officer would deal with terrorists in the afternoon and run home to grab food from the garden and make his 4 course meal. The juxtaposition didn’t work for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment