Wednesday, October 30, 2019

'Inheritance' by Dani Shapiro


Inheritance, Dani Shapiro (3.0)
While this book was compelling and thought provoking, the first third was rather annoying. Ms. Shapiro comes across as whiny and overly dramatic. The whole book is her story of taking a DNA test and finding out her lineage is not what she thought it was. When she finds this out, she really has a breakdown. She can’t contemplate how her beloved father, who had died in her youth, was not her biological father. While none of us knows how we would deal with this information, I felt it did him a disservice as he was obviously her father and always would be. As the book goes on, she does seem to value the ‘nurture’ of her childhood as much as the ‘nature’, so I enjoyed the last two thirds more. I felt fortunate that my identity is not dependent on DNA, and I value my parents for their contributions to my upbringing more than my hair color.

No comments:

Post a Comment