Thursday, August 22, 2019

'Where the Crawdads Sing' by Delia Owens


Where the Crawdads Sing, Delia Owens (3.0)
Maybe my disappointment with this book has something to do with the anticipation of reading one of the most talked about books last year. But I’ll wager it has more to do with the uneven writing, implausible premise and really annoying ending. The story is of a very young girl growing up, basically on her own in the deep marsh of North Carolina. There is love, mystery and a lot of sadness. I give it a 3.0 as I did find it was a very compelling story – even with the implausible premise – I wanted to uncover the mystery. That just overcomes the stereotypical characters and clunky clues. The most well written parts of the book are the depictions of nature (both flora and fauna), which makes sense, as Ms. Owens is a wildlife scientist by profession.

No comments:

Post a Comment