Monday, August 5, 2019

'Nine Stories' by J.D. Salinger


Nine Stories, J.D. Salinger (4.0)
I first read these short stories many years ago. Frankly, I didn’t ‘get’ them. I wanted to reread them with my wiser old brain and see if my life experience helped me – the answer is ‘yes’. While I didn’t enjoy them all, I can now appreciate the nuance and mastery of language. Given the time frame, late 1940’s, several of the stories have to do with PTSD after WWII. What was morose for me in my youth, now reads as poignant. Most of the nine also include children. Salinger has a unique voice for a child that feels very authentic. Much of his language is memorable. Here are two of my favorite passages: ‘..the most singular difference between happiness and joy is that happiness is a solid and joy is a liquid’  and ‘Poets are always taking the weather so personally. They’re always sticking their emotions in things that have no emotions.’  My two favorite stories are ‘For Esme – with Love and Squalor’ and ‘Teddy’.

No comments:

Post a Comment