Sunday, August 20, 2017

'Written on the Body' by Jeanette Winterson

Written on the Body, Jeanette Winterson (3.0)

This is basically a story of love and loss between a couple from the eyes of one of the participants. It’s uniqueness is that the narrator is unnamed and of neutral gender. Throughout the story, the reader is unclear if the protagonist is a man or a woman. I found this interesting and would have liked the book more had I been convinced it could have been either, but the language and feelings portrayed reminded me of a Jane Austen heroine pining away for her lover. Most women don’t feel/think this way and, though I don’t know for sure, I’m under the impression men do not think or feel/think this was at all. While written in 1994, this book felt more like an overwrought woman wrote it in the 1800’s. As the protagonist makes decisions that affect the couple, I appreciated the consequences and reactions portrayed, but I found the first half of the book difficult to get through with its dramatic emotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment