Tuesday, June 16, 2015

'Shift' by Hugh Howey

Shift (#2 in the Wool series), Hugh Howey (4.0)

I rarely like a second book in a series as much as I liked the first book. In the case of ‘Shift’, I can happily say it is true. Mr. Howey has taken the prequel concept seriously and shares the up front story of the creation of the silos and describes the lives running in parallel as ‘Wool’ transpired. Once again his fast paced plot had me pouring quickly through the book. While there are a couple of hitches in the logic (which I will not mention so as not to spoil any plot points), the basic idea and linkages to Wool were ingeniously done. When we left ‘Wool’, the reader has realized that there is more than one silo and a main character has made it successfully to a second one. We still don’t know why the silos are there in the first place and what possible reason for multiple silos with no communication between them for presumably centuries. ‘Shift’ does a good job of providing explanations and has some strong hints at what we should expect to find out in the third installation. Lucky for me, I’ve waited long enough that it’s already been written.

No comments:

Post a Comment