Tuesday, June 23, 2015

'Out' by Natsuo Kirino

Out, Natsuo Kirino (3.0)

This macabre story of murder, cover-up, Japanese mobsters and terribly sad people is not for the faint of heart or squeamish. While I found the graphic murder and dismemberment scenes (yes, there are several) off-putting, the characters were interesting and the plot was gripping. I particularly enjoyed the depiction of the regular workers of Tokyo, who consider an office job an enviable one. This was not the Tokyo I had seen or people I had met on my many visits. The story revolves around 4 women who work the night shift at a lunch box factory – assembling the familiar rice, pork, and pickle lunch boxes seen at all corner 7-elevens in Tokyo. Each woman has her own unique reason for working the night shift.  In a private culture, such as found in Japan, you wouldn’t call these women ‘friends’, but they did form a team in order to survive their hours in the factory. This teamwork is called upon again when one of the women kills her husband. The story follows the aftermath as the characters struggle with what they’ve done, who they’ve gotten involved and what will happen next. I appreciate that Kirino-san did not take the obvious or easy way out for the guilty, though the ending was slightly mystifying to me and I found it took a bit away of my admiration for the writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment