Tuesday, August 19, 2014

'The Lowland' by Jhumpa Lahiri

The Lowland, Jhumpa Lahiri (3)

I found this book a little slow to build my interest. It is the story of two close brothers growing up in the 1950’s in Calcutta, India who were destined for different paths.  The quieter, older brother leaves for college in Rhode Island while the younger brother stays home and becomes more and more politically active. The first third of this novel plods along with this narrative. Eventually, a dramatic event jerks the plot forward, though it quickly gets back to a plodding pace as we follow the choices the older brother makes. I kept hoping for more to happen, to like the characters better, but it was not to be, even as time progressed more rapidly. The lack of love in the family dynamics of this book were sad, though maybe not as odd as they seemed to me. I wasn’t terribly interested in what would happen to the characters, and not much good did happen to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment