Sunday, June 16, 2013

'Where'd You Go, Bernadette?' by Maria Semple


Where’d You Go, Bernadette? Maria Semple (4.0)
I must say that I’ve been getting some very good books from my library this summer. Add this one to the pile! It’s a relatively fast-paced story of a quirky family in Seattle planning a trip to the Antarctic– the father is a workaholic exec at Microsoft, the daughter is a brilliant and well adjusted teen, and the mother (Bernadette of the title) is a once famous architect who is either just strange or going insane. The majority of the book is told through a paper trail (emails, faxes, etc.), which was unsettling at the start, but eventually felt right. The book has a lot of humor and present day subjects (Microsoft, TED talks, eco-building e.g.) mixed with family issues (crazy neighbors, hyper school parents, to name two). Overall it had warmth. You really want Bernadette to be quirky, not crazy. There was only one item in the plot that I did not like – an action that felt wrong for the particular character. I won’t give it away as I’m sure you’ll find it on your own. In spite of that it may be my fascination with all things Seattle, my love of satire or my interest in exotic travel, but I really enjoyed this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment