Friday, June 28, 2013

'look me in the eye, my life with asperger's' by John Elder Robison


look me in the eye, my life with asperger’s, John Elder Robison (3.0)
I wanted to like this book more than I did. It was interesting, but I think ‘The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime’ was a much better book about the perspective of a person with Asperger’s syndrome. John Elder Robison is the older brother of Augusten Burroughs, the author of the memoir ‘Running with Scissors’. John was diagnosed with Asperger’s as an adult and in this book he discusses his experiences growing up without understanding why he was different. Accused of being rude and strange by adults, he eventually learns what society believes are proper responses and apes them with marginal success. I think this book can be helpful to people who are on the autism spectrum, particularly if they are only marginally affected. John provides an example and some explanations of feelings they might share.

No comments:

Post a Comment