Thursday, February 21, 2013

'Flowers for Algernon' by Daniel Keyes


Flowers for Algernon, Daniel Keyes (4.5)
I debated whether to write a review of this book or not. Most people I know have read it, so I was not sure I could add anything. So this is for the very few whom, like me, had heard the general concept of this book, but had never read it. The book is a diary of sorts written by Charlie, a mentally challenged adult. He participates in an experimental surgery that turns him relatively quickly into a genius. The majority of the book looks at the challenges he has when his intellect outpaces the emotional growth one needs to be a comfortable adult. The experiment was first done on the mouse, Algernon, who eventually shows mental deterioration. The question becomes: what will happen to Charlie? Written in 1959, some of the book is dated, but the main concepts are still compelling. Charlie’s path is painful and thought provoking: Is ignorance bliss? Does intelligence bring happiness? For those who have missed this book, I recommend you pick it up for your next read.

No comments:

Post a Comment