Tuesday, October 23, 2012

'The Prisoner of Heaven' by Carlos Ruiz Zafron


The Prisoner of Heaven, Carlos Ruiz Zafron (4)
Mr. Zafron wrote one of my favorite books, ‘The Shadow of the Wind’.  This book is another story written with some of the same characters at a different time of their lives.  Both are set in Barcelona, Spain and centered on the Sempere bookstore.  A third book, ‘The Angel’s Game’, is also part of this cycle of novels, though I found this one to be linked closer to ‘The Shadow of the Wind’.  This story centers on Daniel Sempere, now a husband and father, and his unraveling of a mystery around his friend, Fermin, which includes prison, a mysterious author, Daniel’s parents and an evil presence.  The story is interesting and compelling and the characters are as vivid and delightful as in the first novel.  It made me search out my copy of ‘Shadow’ so that I can re-read it and find the various linkages between the books.  My only complaint is that this book was a little quicker with a bit less in it and with an abrupt ending that pointed towards an obvious fourth novel as some of the mysteries remain.

No comments:

Post a Comment