Wednesday, October 26, 2011

'Lucky' by Alice Sebold

Sorry for the abundance of '3.5' reviews. I have been criticized (yes, by the Tall One) for having too many reviews over 3. I will say that it is mostly self selection: I will choose books that are supposed to be good, I don't try to read bad books! I also tend to think of '3.5' as really good, but not a classic 'don't miss'. While my scores will likely stay high, I will strive to have more variety in my scoring :).

Lucky, Alice Sebold (3.5)
‘Lucky’ is the memoir Alice Sebold published prior to ‘Lovely Bones’ and realized that she needed to come to terms with the violence done to her in the past, in writing, so the fictionalized violence did not morph into her own.  In ‘Lucky’ she describes in detail how she was violently raped as a freshman in college, the eventual trial, and her struggles from then until the writing of the memoir.  While a very painful book to read, it was also compelling.  It felt like a primer everyone should read to step closer to properly approaching people who’ve been through trauma.  We’ve all had the awkward moments trying to say the right thing, or just not say the wrong thing.  You appreciate how strong Alice is, and are appalled when someone actually says (her father!!) ‘If it had to happen to one of you, I’m glad it was you and not your sister.’  The one thing I felt was missing was more detail about how she recovered.  Once she likened her situation to Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome, she seems to have turned a corner.  But I struggle with how she overcame the key element mentioned in a book she quotes about PSTS sufferers: ‘they have an elevated baseline of arousal:  their bodies are always on alert for danger.’  I can understand that – as any person walking alone in a dangerous area feels that feeling of danger. After the worst case violence has happened to you, how do you go back to ‘normal’?  I really struggle with understanding that recovery and would like to hear more.  I guess the answer is to read the book she quotes: ‘Trauma and Recovery’ by Dr. Judith Lewis Herman.

No comments:

Post a Comment