Tuesday, October 4, 2011

'Life' by Keith Richards


Life, by Keith Richards (3)
In full disclosure, I will say I am not a huge fan of the Rolling Stones. I admire their talent and longevity, and can appreciate their accomplishments, but I have never chosen their songs or albums as my music of choice.  Given the time of Rolling Stones’ heyday (over many years), its not surprising that this ‘Life’ has many interesting tidbits.  Mr. Richards has an honest, if somewhat addled, voice.  His story is told from childhood till present day and is filled with the many musicians he admires.  Unfortunately this tale takes 500+ pages and has many lagging bits.  It didn’t take me too long to tire of the drug years.  It was surprising to read about such hard drug use by both parents with their children present with little to no remorse.  It came across as particularly selfish, though little else about Keith Richards comes across that way.  If you are a big Stones fan or a guitar player, I’m sure that you’ll find plenty to enjoy.  Otherwise, I’m afraid I can’t say it is worth the time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment