Friday, July 15, 2011

'Chocolate Wars' by Deborah Cadbury

Chocolate Wars, Deborah Cadbury (2.5)
This book, written by a descendent of the founding family of Cadbury Chocolate, tells the story of the various businesses (mostly from British Quaker families) who developed the chocolate industry.  While there were interesting tidbits throughout this book, I basically found it rather boring.  The word ‘Wars’ in the title is a little dramatic given the history.  The most compelling issue was the dichotomy of Quaker families dealing with successful businesses.  I was impressed at how the Cadburys kept true to their faith with regards to helping others and improving their workers' lives while establishing a successful business.  I also enjoyed the trials of how each chocolate company moved from a drink to establishing chemistry that allowed for bars and other forms of candy.  It really wasn’t easy.  Unfortunately, after that the rest of the story was pretty basic and not very riveting.  In addition, after a largely boring middle bit, the end felt rushed.  The book is hard to recommend as I had to force myself to finish it.

1 comment:

  1. I think we've all been there. You are reading a book recommended by a friend, or just one that sounded good at the time when suddenly you realize that it is just isn't very good. You give it another chapter or two, but at some point you reach a fork in the road. Do you read the book to the end because you've committed to it this far or do you abandon it in favor of investing those precious reading hours into a book that promises greater joy? I've gone both ways at that fork, but as I get older and realize life is short I am quicker to abandon a bad book once I reach what I call the point of no return.

    ReplyDelete