Monday, August 31, 2026

'The Revolt of the Public and the Crisis of Authority' by Martin Gurri

 The Revolt of the Public and the Crisis of Authority, Martin Gurri (2.0)

I was quite disappointed in the second half of this book. It was recommended by someone whose opinions I respect. While the first half he did a good job of describing his thoughts on how traditional ‘Authority’ sources have lost their power in the new era of accessible information, unfortunately the second half was repetitive and wandering so any point was lost to me. It also was very focused on politics as opposed to broader subjects also impacted. I tended to disagree with him on many of his comments (some also proved wrong in hindsight). Readers don’t have to agree with all put forth by a writer, but his tendency to generalize and some inaccuracies left me less inclined to be generous. He added a last chapter a few years later, during Trump 1.0, to comment on how things were moving forward and if representative democracy was moving towards authoritarianism. Sadly, he didn’t wait for Trump 2.0, so his points fell flat again.

No comments:

Post a Comment