Saturday, July 15, 2023

'Last Train to Istanbul' by Ayse Kulin

Last Train to Istanbul, Ayse Kulin (3.0)

There are many books written about WWII, so I appreciate ones that cover new ground. This book, written by a famous Turkish writer, depicts a Turkish family during the early 40’s – some in occupied France and some in Turkey. I appreciated reading about how the Turkish diplomats worked to protect their citizens, regardless of religion, and how they tried to stay neutral with both England and Germany trying to pull them into the war. While I enjoyed the parts regarding history, I was less enthused with the characters and family aspect. I can’t exactly say why, may have been they didn’t reach me, the story did not feel new, or possibly something was lost in the translation.


No comments:

Post a Comment