Saturday, May 20, 2023

'Fen, Bog and Swamp' by Annie Proulx

Fen, Bog and Swamp, Annie Proulx (3.0)

The information about the history and details of the wetlands in this book is quite interesting. I particularly liked the segment on bogs and the peat which holds various secrets (and quite a few bodies). The overall message of how humans have been quite ignorant of how important these wetlands are to the health of our planet is powerful. What I didn’t like is the author’s nonchalance with regards to the authenticity. She mentions she is not an expert but has read many books on the subject. At the end, she says due to the pandemic, she also didn’t get to interview many of the experts. When writing about an important environmental subject, I would like to see more rigor. This approach was ok for the New Yorker article that summarized the book (which I recommend reading), but I was left wanting more from the longform version.


No comments:

Post a Comment