Thursday, December 22, 2022

'A Thousand Acres' by Jane Smiley

A Thousand Acres, Jane Smiley (3.0)

I enjoyed this book in the beginning, likely seeing the farming families similar to those I had grown up near in the Midwest. But mid-way the story turned dark and I found it tough to read. I didn’t like most of the choices the characters were making, some seeming to come out of the blue and quite disturbing. Maybe had I known it was a tragedy based on King Lear I would have come at it with that lens and enjoyed it more (King divvying up his kingdom to his 3 daughters). I saw the trappings of midwestern life and some of the stereotypes, but actions that didn’t make sense given how the characters were set up.  I can appreciate the quality of writing, but it’s a hard book to recommend as I did not find it enjoyable to read.


No comments:

Post a Comment