Friday, September 16, 2022

'The Scarlet Pimpernel' by Baroness E. Orczy

The Scarlet Pimpernel, Baroness Emmuska Orczy (4.0)

This book has a soft spot in my heart as it was given to me by my parents in junior high. I’ve always enjoyed the history, love story and good twists. So, I will say it’s hard for me to be objective. I would also call it a softer version of one of my favorite books, ‘A Tale of Two Cities’. Both are set during the French Revolution and bounce between London and Paris. The eponymous character is an anonymous Englishman who leads a troupe who extract French noble families from the jaws of Madame Guillotine. Given the author’s title, you can assume all sympathies are with the Pimpernel and the people he is saving, not the revolutionaries. Therein lies my only issue with the book – the ‘bad guys’ are rather cookie-cutter and some prejudices are too obvious. But it is true to the era when it was written and a thoroughly charming little book!


No comments:

Post a Comment