Tuesday, May 17, 2022

'There There' by Tommy Orange

There There, Tommy Orange (3.5)

This is a book of many Native American characters in Oakland, CA who have a variety of histories and situations but come together at the first Oakland Pow-wow. I found this book and author an important voice to hear and the characters quite different. There was actually a lot ‘there’ here in terms of introducing urban Native American characters. I particularly liked the concept discussed concerning genes versus culture (i.e. are you a Native American if you were adopted into a Caucasian family with no idea of your birth culture?). It has been a long-standing issue with the diverse cultures of people who have come to America and were here to start with – how much do you assimilate; how much do you maintain? Despite the rave reviews, I found the writing to be good, but not great. Every chapter told from a different character trope is getting tiresome. I’m very glad I didn’t read this on my e-reader as I had to go back to the character list often. My biggest complaint is the ending – the reader is left at the climax with big questions unanswered. Not surprising, there is another book on the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment