Friday, July 17, 2020

'The Crystal Shard: Forgotten Realms, Icewind Dale' by R. A. Salvatore

The Crystal Shard, R. A. Salvatore (2.5)
Always looking for a worthwhile fantasy book to be the heir of LOTR, I read this very short and reasonably well-regarded Forgotten Realms: Icewind Dale trilogy. Sadly, early into the first book, I realized it was patterned after a Dungeons and Dragons game and very derivative of those who have gone before (dwarf, elf, human, Halfling on a quest – sound familiar?). Very few original ideas here, but with lots and lots of battles with orcs and goblins. I found the bad guys were one-dimensional and the heroes a bit too heroic. I did like the idea of a troubled dark elf and who doesn’t love a magical panther that lives on another plane of existence? But, that is not enough for me to recommend this series except to someone wanting a novel to replace an AD&D game.

No comments:

Post a Comment