Monday, June 22, 2020

'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy (4.0)
Re-reading this book was a real pleasure. I’m sure when I read it in my 20’s, I skimmed the ‘war’ philosophic discussions, Tolstoy’s musings on whether or not Napoleon was a genius. With more time and wisdom (?) I really enjoyed his take on the realities of war versus historians’ interpretation. While the ‘peace’ sections can be quite melodramatic – the scene of Nicholas Rostov nearly fainting at seeing the Tsar in person comes to mind – the characters were compelling enough to keep one interested through a 1000+-page book. Since Tolstoy wrote this just 50 years after the war, his take on the attitudes of the nobility were believable. Their lack of concern with war on their doorstep is frightening and telling. I’m not sure I’m ready for the 4-hour movie and certainly not ready for Henry Fonda as the stout, bookish Pierre, but I do want to read more about Napoleon and particularly his battles with Russia in 1812.

No comments:

Post a Comment