Saturday, October 13, 2018

'Assembling California' by John McPhee


Assembling California, John McPhee (3.5)
This is my first John McPhee book and I can say the author does not talk down to his audience. If anything, I would have enjoyed a Geology textbook or glossary next to me for the majority of the book. Written in 1993, this is the fourth in a series of books that follow McPhee as he pairs with geologists to understand the history of our land formations. In this section, he focuses on California’s various famous geographies from the gold rush to wine country to the central valley to the San Andreas group of faults. He diverts to the Greek island of Cyprus and the Himalayas, but mainly stays within our California borders. I got lost during some of the heavy geology discussions, but was mesmerized by the last chapter – a step-by-step description of the Loma Prieta earthquake from start to finish meshing what was going on to those of us above ground to what was happening miles below the surface. For someone who experienced it firsthand, I appreciated the look back at how it happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment