Monday, August 20, 2018

'The Tao of Pooh' by Benjamin Hoff


The Tao of Pooh, Benjamin Hoff (3.0)
I bought and read this book many years ago. After seeing the new movie, ‘Christopher Robin’, my love of all things Pooh was rekindled and I found the book on my shelves. I am really torn about this book – I really love Pooh’s Taoisms, but upon rereading it, I realize the author has some strong (and sometimes frankly offensive) views. When he sticks to the words of the Taos masters and A.A. Milne’s corresponding Pooh-isms, the book is delightful. It makes one want to read the original stories to relish in the simple views and delights of the little bear. Unfortunately about two-thirds of the way through the book, the author inserts some very blatant views on capitalism, exploration and intellectualism. Basically you should not want for anything (knowledge or cleverness as embodied in Owl and Rabbit are scorned). I have read some Tao teachings and, while the gist of this is true, I found Hoff’s treatment to be too blunt and simplistic. This is a very short book – so worth reading if you are a fan of Pooh – just don’t take the author’s heavy-handedness too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment