Sunday, October 23, 2016

'Service of All the Dead', Colin Dexter

Service of All the Dead, 4th Inspector Morse Series, Colin Dexter (3.0)

We’ve enjoyed the young Inspector Morse on the PBS show, ‘Endeavor’, so I was interested to read one of the original books from the series. Oddly I was a bit disappointed. I’m not sure if it was because I read the 4th in the series (it was the only free one I could find), but the main character came off as less likable than the young version. He was still a complex character with the sharp insight of a good detective mixed with a taste for opera. The mystery was interesting, and the outcome, given the myriad of possibilities was a bit surprising. Unfortunately Morse came across as a bit snarky and elusive. He played games with his partner (not at all like the young Endeavor Morse) and I just didn’t like the characters enough to follow them to their next case.

No comments:

Post a Comment