Tuesday, May 17, 2016

'The Space Trilogy' by C. S. Lewis

The Space Trilogy (Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra and That Hideous Strength), C.S. Lewis (3.0)

In catching up on my C.S. Lewis reading, I tackled his Sci-Fi trilogy, written in the 1940’s. While I enjoyed the first book, I have given the series a ‘3.0’ as the second and third books were very preachy and hard to take. The religious zeal of those books took away from the freshness of the first. I don’t want to give away too much – since I am recommending the first book, whose elements are more delightful as surprises. Suffice it to say that Lewis has written a novel about a journey – both fantastical and precarious – that involves non-humans as we know them and illuminates possible origins of the planets. He links the planets’ relationship to humans and to each other. The good and evil represented in the first book are interesting and feel more realistic than the cartoonish representations of the other two books. More than once I was reminded of H.G. Wells’ novels. As with his books, the imagination, given the state of technology at the time is impressive. Besides the issues with religion, my other criticism of the trilogy has to do with its English centric mentality. In the 40’s I would have thought a writer would be more global in his story telling.

No comments:

Post a Comment