Sunday, March 30, 2014

'The Fault in Our Stars' by John Green

The Fault in Our Stars, John Green (4)

I hesitated to read this book after hearing about its subject, a love story about a terminally ill teenage protagonist. But, if you can handle one good bout of crying, I found this to be one of the most uplifting and worthwhile books about dying that I’ve read. The characters are interesting and thoughtful, particularly note-worthy since they are teenagers, albeit ones that have already gone through excruciating times. I won’t reveal the main points of the story, though it was not completely predictable and it’s not all hospitals and suffering. Since truly good characters need to be multi-faceted, I was pleased to see that whenever the story took a particular Pollyanna bent; Mr. Green pulled back and gave the characters realistic emotions and behaviors. It’s not emotionally an easy read, but it is a worthwhile one.

No comments:

Post a Comment