Friday, July 12, 2013

'Red Harvest' by Dashiell Hammett


Red Harvest, Dashiell Hammett (3.5)
If you like a Humphrey Bogart gumshoe-type character solving a complicated mystery involved gambling, drinking and a lot of shooting, you’ll enjoy this book. It is a typical Hammett yarn with an unnamed detective trying to clean up a small town in Northern California. The cadence of the dialogue is tough – it helps if you read some of it aloud. Lot’s of phrases like: ‘My chinch and Dick’s are together at your client’s joint. Mine’s been generally busier than a hustler with two bunks, though I don’t know what the score is yet.’ I enjoyed this book more for the ambience than the plot. It was complicated and the ending was not entirely satisfying – unless you like numerous shoot-outs and dead gangsters. I do plan on reading the rest of his novels, particularly ‘The Maltese Falcon’ and ‘The Thin Man’ as they are two of my favorite movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment