Thursday, May 2, 2013

'Tenth of December' by George Saunders


The Tenth of December, by George Saunders (4.0)
As many of you know, I am not a fan of short story collections. I attribute it to the fact that they are over too quickly. As soon as I get involved, its done and I’m on to the next one. Recently George Saunders was the subject of a New York Times Magazine article in which they discussed his pre-writing life (as a geophysical engineer) and his status as one of the best American writers. The raves about this book were so numerous, I decided to dive back into the short story format and I’m glad I did. While the majority of the 10 stories are depressing, his voice and imagination are remarkable. He obviously gets his inspiration from the dark side of human nature. His themes often focus on the economic divides in society and the broken people on all sides. I don't want to talk specifics - as there are often surprises that should not be spoiled. My only wish is that Mr. Saunders would write equally interesting stories about something good in humanity.

No comments:

Post a Comment