Friday, May 4, 2012

'Faith' by Jennifer Haigh


Faith, Jennifer Haigh (3.5)
This book was very interesting and fast paced.  It is the story of an Irish family in Boston that is central in one of the sadly frequent pedophile priest stories.  It is told from the priest’s sister’s point of view as she moves through the past to understand the present.  While I thought it would be a very sad story, I came away feeling it was not.  I think Ms. Haigh has made characters that are believable, but not morose.  And oddly, it does not become a condemnation of the Catholic Church, which would have been too easy.  I liked that the characters were complex and that the story went in unexpected directions while remaining believable.  I applaud her ability to make a very good story out of a difficult subject.

No comments:

Post a Comment