Wednesday, January 25, 2012

'Jamrach's Menagerie' by Carol Birch


Jamrach’s Menagerie, Carol Birch (3.5)
This book is a combination of an adventure story and a coming of age story.  It has been on several 'Best Book of 2011' lists and looked to be something quite different.  While I found it unique and interesting to read, the tone changed from almost whimsical in the face of darkness (Jaffy, the street urchin, survives a meeting with an escaped tiger on the streets of London with a feeling of magical intervention) to horribly tragic (as the shipwrecked crew of a dragon-chasing ship turn to cannibalism).  It felt like a let down and something of a betrayal to the reader.  A few authors can change their tone throughout and are considered to masterful writers.  I cannot pinpoint why, but I felt that Ms. Birch falls just short of that.  Maybe there is an element that needs to stay constant to pull you through; I’m just not sure.  I did like the colorful characters and unique story telling, in general.  But I was hoping the good feelings I had at various parts of the book would overwhelm the sadness I was left with at the end. This did not happen and I was left somewhat unsatisfied.

No comments:

Post a Comment