Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pandora's Star by Peter F. Hamilton

Pandora’s Star, Peter F. Hamilton (3)
For the Sci-fi fans out there, here is an interesting, albeit long book.  I was very torn in reading this book.  It has some very innovative ideas and concepts, but it was far too long and had a very abrupt end.  Luckily the sequel has already been written.  I do think the brilliant concepts make up for the length, but you need the patience to make it through.  Overall I felt the rhythm and story would have been better with about 2/3 the words.  I’m not going to go into the story, as I believe the best part of this book is discovering the concepts on your own.  I will say that it is set in the 25th century and has elements of society, politics and economics wound around the science fiction ideas that advance the story.  There are many character’s stories that do not integrate for some time (hence more patience needed), but as you understand how things are evolving based on new scientific discoveries, you begin to understand why we were following each of the seemingly disconnected characters.  If you are a Sci-fi fan, enjoy Vernor Vinge or Charles Stross, AND have the time and patience, give this a shot.  I am going to force Sacaric to read it just so that I have someone with whom to discuss the ideas! I have giving this a 3 – which is a blend of a 1 for writing and 4 for concepts.  

No comments:

Post a Comment