Tuesday, April 8, 2014

'Total Control' by David Baldacci

Total Control, David Baldacci (3.5)

I normally don’t read books in this genre (i.e. prolific author who spits out one book or more per year), but my dad left this for me after a visit and said it was a real page-turner. He also said the mystery of who was behind the dastardly shenanigans were not obvious until the very end. Since I really love to be stumped (due to a good plot and good writing, of course), I decided to devote some time to this ~700 page thriller. The story is set in the 90’s with doses of computer technology, so the tech details were pretty dated, though not irrelevant. It was only slightly distracting that the unimaginable technologies of that time are now commonplace or even out of date. The story centers around a husband and wife, who become embroiled in business intrigue so out of hand that it involves crashing a commercial plane, many murders and manipulating the federal reserve, whose power seems to be less understood in the 90’s as it is now due to recent events. Typical of this type of book, he has added a somewhat crusty FBI agent to help save the day and a smart, beautiful woman to make his motivation even easier to understand. Despite some of the flaws, the plot did twist and turn and true to my dad’s word, I stayed up late turning pages in order to find out if I was right about who dunnit.

No comments:

Post a Comment