Saturday, April 19, 2014

'Ratting on Russo' by Alan Venable

Ratting on Russo, Alan Venable (3.5)

A friend of the author gave me this book, as she knew I would enjoy the writing and the genre (young adult angst growing up in the 50’s of middle America). I particularly enjoyed the culture and language given the location, the outskirts of Pittsburgh near where my husband grew up. I could hear some of his relatives in the ‘yinz’ and ‘aht’s.  The plot of a young lad making his way through his early teens – negotiating girls, friends and awkward school situations is not particularly new, but Mr. Venable adds many small nuances to make this book special. While not a barn burning plot – there is a sweetness and nostalgia throughout this story that made it a pleasant reading experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment